Wednesday, April 1, 2020

2020 Projects in my Studio

Happy 2020! It has been a strange year so far. I was busy teaching a Beginning Quilting Class for ages 10 - adult, with a quilting friend at our local library, then in March we had to stop the classes, due to our current global pandemic. These are days I am sure none of us have imagined. (I usually try to think of pleasant things, and share positive thoughts with my friends and family as much as possible. I am not a fan of horror movies!)

Hope you are all staying safe and using this time to find the positive in your life as much as possible. 

Here are a few projects I have been working on in my studio.

This is a pillow case I made as part of the quilting class we were teaching. It was made using a video tutorial from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. It was a lot of fun to make, you might want to try making one at home! Just search for Missouri Star Quilt Co pillowcase tutorial, and you will find the YouTube video. 


Pillow case made using material
in my fabric stash.

Close up of pillow case edge.
































I also have some other projects in the works, and have been learning a few new techniques.

I had gotten a new Tumbler cutting die from www.AccuQuilt.com for my Go Fabric cutter. I used 5 inch charm packs and cut the Tumbler shapes from them, and laid them out in an improvisational design on my design wall. The idea was to play with hot and cool colors, using older batiks I have had, some new Tula Pink solids, and new Benartex Batiks I had. I also used fabrics from Connecting Threads. I like the charm packs, since you get a wide assortment of fabrics to work with. I used a larger blue batik fabric from my stash for the border. The cutting was fun with the die, since it goes very quickly.


Close up Improvisational
Tumbler Quilt
Improvisational Tumbler Quilt in process.

The only difficult part of making the Tumbler quilt, is getting your points to match perfectly! I am going to resew a few, just in case I decide to enter a show with my quilt. I may add some applique design on top. I have been working on several quilt tops so I can practice quilting them, also. The more you do the better you get at doing it! Most important is to enjoy the process and be yourself!

Last for now, I have also been learning how to weave using a Pin loom. I had wanted to do this for a while, then I found some supplies at some sales we went to. Finally getting to it, since we are going out less often now. It was easier to learn than I thought, and it is very relaxing. Here are some pictures of my supplies and my first woven square. 


Vintage Weave-it
loom instructions.
Vintage Weave-It looms and weaving needles.







Newer Weavettes looms in box and small plastic Weave-it loom.



There are more projects I have in the works! Will save those to share later. I hope you will use some time now to find things you enjoy doing, and don't be afraid to try new things and learn new skills. As I get older I am learning to be braver about life.

Wishing all good things to you in this strange, new life and world in which we are living!

Blessings,

Denise Buchwalter-Losczyk 

No comments:

Post a Comment