Monday, February 14, 2022

Disappearing Nine Patch AQS quilt

 Another of the projects I have been working on. I have completed the top and purchased wide fabric for the backing. I'm working on other projects in the meantime, but I will be quilting this one on my longarm frame with my Qnique 14+ machine.

The quilt top was pieced following instructions for a free "Disappearing Nine Patch" quilt pattern I found on the AQS website (American Quilter's Society). I usually use my own designs to create quilts, but I thought this one looked like it would be fun to make. I also like to have lots of tops on hand, so I can have projects to practice my long arm quilting on. I added a border on the sides of the pattern. I made the fabric choices for the quilt using fabrics in my supply stash. This will be a gift!

Here are some progress photos of the quilting:

Nine patch quilt
Nine patch quilt pattern before it disappears!











Progress photo #2 Starting to disappear!



















Progress photo #3



Progress photo #4 (rearranged a bit)



Final top with borders added!


Detail of fabrics and blocks

Another detail of fabrics and blocks



I had fun sewing and cutting and sewing this together! I'll post an update once the quilting is complete.

I tried to find a link the pattern on AmericanQuilter.com, in their blog section, but it looks like they took it down when their website was updated. Basically, it involves sewing nine patch blocks in dark and light color, then cutting the squares into 1/2 square triangles, sewing them together, then cutting again into 1/2 square triangles. 

It was a fun process and a great way to use up your fabric stash. A fairly easy quilt to sew, also. I used some fabrics from mask panels I had purchased on sale to add interest to the quilt. (The unicorn and typewriter print in photos above.) If you search Disappearing Nine Patch, you can find other variations on the idea, which starts with a simple Nine Patch quilt block.

Hope everyone is well, wishing you a fun time creating!

Many Blessings,

Denise A. Buchwalter-Losczyk




No comments:

Post a Comment