Monday, December 7, 2020

#31DayBlogChallenge2020 - What day is it? Also, project recently completed

I am having difficulty keeping up with the daily blog! I've decided to go weekly, instead of daily for my blog and commit to doing that throughout next year. 

I don't have a business to promote right now, but I do like to share my creations and enjoy writing - so I will continue the blog! 

On that note, here is a little machine embroidered quilt I created for a recent Quilting Arts Reader Challenge: Art as Inspiration Challenge. It wasn't chosen for publication this time, but it did give me an outlet for creating this little memory quilt.

The challenge was to create a Postage Stamp Quilt honoring or in the style of another artist. I chose to commemorate my Video Art Teacher and friend, Shigeko Kubota.

She was one of the first women video artists. I studied video art with her while she was a visiting artist at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 1984. She mainly resided in New York City, so I was very fortunate to be able to study with her in Chicago. We wrote to each other over the years, and I still miss her very much. She passed away in 2015. I remember she liked the way her name sounded like "Chicago". So, here is my little quilt, in memory of her and those Chicago days, it is titled: "Love to Shigeko". It is 4 inches by 4 inches in size, I imagined the design and then created the embroidery in my Embird Embroidery software. It was stitched out on my Bernette B79 machine. I also used some hand stitching on the top of the quilt.

Mini Quilt created in response to Quilting Arts Reader Challenge, title: "Love to Shigeko"



Hope you enjoy seeing my little quilt!

 - Denise Buchwalter-Losczyk

No comments:

Post a Comment