Monday, December 17, 2018

Many Projects in the works! - Day 17 - 31 Day Blog Writing Challenge

My studio space has gotten very busy lately! Here is a view of my work table:

Very busy studio work table!


I usually worked on one project at a time, but lately I have been going in many different directions. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes when you stop and experiment with different techniques, the results work their way into new projects you are working on. This is something I am becoming more aware of in my studio.

For example: Earlier this year I decided to create some machine needle-felted fabric. I made some striped felt fabric using acrylic and polyester felt and wool roving. I then put the samples aside for awhile. When I began my next project, an entry into a Quilting Arts Reader Challenge, I found myself working the fabric into my design. No time was wasted experimenting in the studio, only more options for creating! The good news is that my little quilt was accepted into the challenge. I will write more about that once it is has been published in Quilting Arts.

Recently I found some nice linoleum cutting blades at an estate sale. They came in the original box, which I believe is from the 1950s or 1960s, perhaps. The find inspired me to get out my cutting tools, I have blades from the 1970s, and recently from the 2000s. I have been meaning to use them to cut out some designs for stamping/printing on fabric. I found a small sketchbook in my supply stash to draw designs on, based on the little linoleum blocks in my stash. I will share the results of the experimenting later! Here are some photos of my Speedball Linoleum Cutting blades collection:

My collection of linoleum cutting supplies, you can also use 
them to cut rubber stamps and eraser stamps. 
The Linozips  are from the 1950s or 60s, I believe 
(maybe even earlier, not sure!) The orange handle cutter
 has blade storage in the handle and is from the 1970s, 
the stamp cutting set is from the 2000s.

Speedball Linozips Linoleum Cutters Made in the U.S.A.

 
Little sketchbook with a cutting design in process.





























































Don't forget to play and experiment in your studio. The results may lead to creative results in your own work! There is no time wasted.

Happy Creating and Experimenting,

Denise A. Buchwalter-Losczyk

No comments:

Post a Comment